Samsung Australia is recalling over 50,000 of its Galaxy Note7 smartphones after discovering the batteries of some phones exploded while they were charging.
The high-end device was launched just weeks ago, but users have complained that a battery fault has caused some phones to explode or catch fire while plugged in.
Samsung has withdrawn all sales of the phone and was removed from the shelves from retailers such as Optus, Telstra and JB Hi-Fi.
It has been reported that around 35 cases of problems with the smartphone are being investigated.
Based on our investigation, we have learned that there was an issue within the battery cell. An overheating of the battery cell occurred when the anode-to-cathode came into contact, which is a very rare manufacturing process error”
The Online Statement said.
around 2.5 million units were sold world-wide which would mean the company would likely need to recall the entire batch.
Customers may choose to get a replacement, which Samsung expect customers to get within 3-4 weeks, or a full refund.
The safety and ongoing satisfaction of our customers is our top priority,
Said Richard Fink – Vice President IT & Mobile, Samsung Electronics Australia.
We know our Galaxy Note7 customers are our most loyal customers and we are taking a proactive approach to support them. We are asking customers to contact Samsung or their place of purchase to arrange a suitable courtesy smartphone or refund. Courtesy devices will become available from this Wednesday (September 7, 2016).
We advise not to put the phone on charge, try to backup the phone as best, safe and as quick as you can (if applicable) then turn off the phone and take it back to the Place of Purchase, call Samsung on 1300 362 603 or visit the Online Information and use the form.
Have you or anybody you know had this issue?