Yes! There is a Major Windows Update you must Install now!
Microsoft have posted a Security Bulletin in regards to a serious security vulnerability, just from something as simple as a particular Font Format!
Yes, a font format called “OpenType” can be used in a document or website, that once accessed by a user:
An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could take complete control of the affected system. An attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights.
A Windows Update was issued (KB3079904) to tackle this issue and we ask that you do this update ASAP!
The following Versions are affected:
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8/8.1/RT
- Windows Server 2008 and above
For the old Start Menu users (Vista/7):
- Press Start (Windows Icon on bottom left)
- Click on the Search Box
- Type “Windows Update” until it pops up in the list
- Watch the Search results above the box until Windows Update pops up and then click on Windows Update
- Once the Window opens for Windows Update, keep checking for updates using the “Check for Updates” option on the left panel and installing updates or make sure Security Update……..(KB3079904) is installed using the “View History” selection.
For Windows Modern Start Screen users (8/8.1):
- Press Start
- Start typing on the Start Screen “Windows Update” or go into the Charms Menu and click Search and type until the search list pops up Windows Update
- Click/Tap on Windows Update
- Keep checking and installing updates or make sure KB3079904 is installed.
Of course, you can navigate to the Windows Update section however you know how aswell.
Windows Server users we trust to know how to update due to it being an advanced version.
For those of you who like to control what updates are installed or not, including Server users, you can goto Microsoft’s TechNet website for the workarounds (Advanced Users Only!).